Saturday, November 9, 2013

September 28th - Visit #9



So for visit #9 I spent the morning with my mom at Bill Smith’s Café in McKinney. I didn’t tell my mom she was my person for the month because I just wanted to enjoy the time with her without her feeling like she had to wax eloquently about something that I was going to write up. I received some great advice from a friend before I went, who told me ask questions about mom’s perspective about when I was growing up. This advice came from a friend whose mom has dementia and has missed this opportunity.  

My mom is my rock, she is who I call when things are good, when things are bad, when I need to know how to seat a toilet or bake a cake. She usually only listens and gives advice when I ask for it which I am sure kills her sometimes. My mom is multi-talented! She can throw a party like no other, landscape a yard in to a thing of beauty, decorate a house, cooks up an incredible holiday meal and has always treated others better than they probably deserve. She has an unparalleled work ethic, is a perfectionist and does amazing things for her family and friends.

My mom has not always had an easy life. She was the oldest girl of 6 siblings and was called on to do a lot for her family. Her mother was a very complex person and her father, who was her rock, died at a young age and left her without an anchor. You would never know this by being around her or talking with her. She has overcome many obstacles with pure dignity and grace and an amazing attitude. I knew my mom would do anything for my brother and me however, I didn’t know until this morning just how incredible some of those sacrifices were. It has taken me a while to process and be able to write up this visit.

My mom is my hero and my inspiration! I am who I am today because of the incredible influence she has had on me. Thanks MOM!!

No comments:

Post a Comment